Adapted from Hello, My Name is Ice Cream by Dana Cree.
1 ¼ cups rhubarb puree
1 cup cashew cream
1 tsp citric acid
1 ½ cups cashew milk
¾ cup sugar
½ cup glucose
1 tsp commercial stabilizer
- Whisk together the puree, ½ cup of the cashew cream, and citric acid in a small bowl.
- Whisk together the stabilizer and the sugar.
- Place the remaining cashew cream, cashew milk, sugar mixture and glucose into a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl nested inside a larger container full of ice water, and still until cooled completely.
- Remove from the ice bath and whisk in the fruit puree mixture until combined.
- Strain into containers and cure in the fridge for several hours before preparing according to the directions on your ice cream maker.
1 lb rhubarb
- Clean the rhubarb and chop into small pieces.
- Heat the rhubarb in a small pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally and mashing it as it cooks, until it is thick and mostly broken down, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and run through a blender until smooth.
- Chill completely before using.